Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Mathematisch-Naturwissenschaftliche Fakultät - Mathematische Physik von Raum, Zeit und Materie


Travelling with UNIFY

UNIFY can provide cofunding for researchers at HU Berlin and AEI Golm in the fields of Gauge/Gravity Duality (work package 1), Cosmology and Numerical Relativity (work package 2) and String theory, Supergravity, Quantum Gravity and Black Holes (work package 3), who are travelling to one of the following institutes:

  • PI, Waterloo, Canada
  • SUNY, Stony Brook, USA
  • Caltech, Pasadena, USA
  • IPMU, Tokyo, Japan.

UNIFY can cover the expenses for airplane tickets, accommodation, per diem, conference fees, but only up to a maximum amount that is determined by the duration of your stay and which amounts to about 2000 Euros/month (and proportionally less for shorter stays).

Application Instructions

Researchers from Humboldt-University or AEI Potsdam, who want to apply for UNIFY cofunding, please...

Step 1: Send an email at least two month before your travel to Prof. M. Staudacher ( and cc A. Schalke ( containing information about the dates of your travel and the approximate amount of money that you want to apply for. We will then inform you about availability of funding and send you the necessary forms.

Step 2: Once you have received the travel application form, fill in the upper half of this form, sign it and give (or send via ordinary mail) the signed original form to:

A. Schalke
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
AG Mathematische Physik von Raum, Zeit und Materie
IRIS-Haus, Zum Großen Windkanal 6
10099 Berlin

A non-official English translation of the relevant part of the form is available here:
travel application form (English translation)
(NOTE: The form you should use and sign is the GERMAN version!)

Once all other necessary signatures are collected, you will receive the original form back via ordinary mail together with two forms for your travel expense report.

Travel expense report

Within one month after your travel, please fill in the travel expense report and the attachement to the travel expense report and send them together with

  • The original of the travel application form
  • Invoice for your flight ticket and boarding passes
  • Invoice for accommodation
  • Receipts for conference fees
  • etc.

(depending on which expenses are covered by UNIFY)

via A. Schalke or Sylvia Richter (at HU Berlin) or via Christine Gottschalkson (at AEI) to

Juliane Wormuth
Reisestelle, HU Berlin
Unter den Linden 6
10099 Berlin

Again you find non-official translations of the relevant parts and examples here:
travel expense report (English translations)
travel expense report (example)
attatchment to travel expense report (English translation)
attatchment to travel expense report (example)
(NOTE: The forms you should use and sign are the GERMAN versions!)

Justification towards UNIFY

Independently from your travel expense report, we need your electronic flight tickets or itinerary to prove the durations of UNIFY travels towards the network. Please send them to A. Schalke ( as soon as you have them. If you don't have an electronic ticket but only paper confirmations, then please provide a scan.

Problems, questions

For any problems and questions, please contact A. Schalke ( For assistance with filling in the forms at AEI please refer to Christine Gottschalkson.