Update: The course will be taught in English.
Ankündigungen / Announcements
previous announcements (no longer relevant)
- 2.08.2018: Here are the exam results from
Monday. Klausureinsicht will be Thursday from 13:00 to 14:00 in my office (1.301 in RUD25). If you
would like to see your graded exam but cannot make it during that time, feel free to e-mail me
for an appointment (be aware however that I will be away from August 3 to 8, and again after August 14).
- 6.07.2018: The final exam (Klausur) for this course is scheduled for
July 30 at 9am, with a resit (i.e. zweiter Versuch) option on October 12 at 9am. To take the exam, you must
register with the Prüfungsbüro at least 14 days ahead of time,
which in our case (for the first exam date) means July 16. (All the necessary
details are publicized on the HU math department's Prüfungsangelegenheiten page.)
To give you an
idea of what to expect, here is the exam from last October.
The format this year will be the same, though some of the problems on that exam would
not be suitable this year, e.g. Problem 2 involves the mapping degree and Problem 5(b)
involves cellular homology, neither of which we have covered (though simplicial homology
might be fair game, which it was not last year). Problem 6 may look unfamiliar to you
as of now, but it involves topics that we definitely will cover in the final week
of classes and they are fair game.
- 13.06.2018: As mentioned yesterday in the Übung, there were some minor errors in
Lecture 10 concerning the definition of "deformation retraction" and its relationship to
the notion of homotopy equivalence. These have now been corrected in the notes (the revisions are marked in red).
- 24.05.2018: Written solutions to the last two problems on Problem Set 4 are now posted below.
For the second week in a row, a question from students (this time in the Übung) led to the
gradual realization that I had said something that is wrong, and unfortunately what was wrong
this time was the statement of one of the problems to be graded (6(b)---it is not true without
assuming the space is Hausdorff). In the interest of fairness,
everyone who handed in something will receive full credit on that problem.
- 12.05.2018: There were small errors in the definitions of axioms T3 and
T4 in Tuesday's lecture. They have been corrected in the lecture notes, but
the answer to Problem 7(c) on this week's problem set may depend on these details,
so correct answers conforming to either set of definitions (from the lecture or the notes) will
be accepted. There were also some errors in the discussion of connected components
in Friday's lecture, which have also been corrected in the lecture notes. Look out for
red text in the notes where the corrections have been flagged.
- 23.04.2018: The following minor changes take effect as of this week: (1) The Friday lectures are moving
to room 1.013 (directly underneath where we met in the first week). (2) My office hour is now
Thursdays 14:00-15:00 instead of Wednesdays. These details have been updated in the downloadable course information sheet
at the top of this page.
lecture notes (updated regularly)
Übungsblätter / Problem sets
The grader for this course is Johannes Hauber; you can contact him at
hauberjq at hu dash berlin dot de if you have questions
about your graded homework.
- Problem Set 1 (distributed 17.04.2018, due 24.04.2018)
- Problem Set 2 (distributed 24.04.2018, due 8.05.2018)
- Problem Set 3 (distributed 8.05.2018, due 15.05.2018)
- Problem Set 4 (distributed 15.05.2018, due 22.05.2018) solutions
to problems 6 and 7
- Problem Set 5 (distributed 22.05.2018, due 29.05.2018)
- Problem Set 6 (distributed 29.05.2018, due 5.06.2018)
- Problem Set 7 (distributed 5.06.2018, due 12.06.2018)
solutions to problem 3(a)-(d)
- Take-home midterm (distributed 12.06.2018, due 26.06.2018)
- Problem Set 8 (distributed 26.06.2018, due 3.07.2018)
- Problem Set 9 (distributed 3.07.2018, due 10.07.2018)
- Problem Set 10 (distributed 10.07.2018, due 17.07.2018)
- Problem Set 11 and solutions (distributed 17.07.2018, due never)
Somebody miscalculated the fundamental group.