Inhaltsbeschreibung / course description and syllabus
Ankündigungen / Announcements
- 16.04.2017: Here are the results of the April 12 exam / Klausurergebnisse (not including absences).
I will be available to review your graded exams with you (Klausureinsicht) on
Tuesday, April 18, from 3 to 4pm.
- 04.04.2017: The second final exam date is April 12, 2017 in RUD 26, 0'310, beginning at 9:00.
All the information given below for the March 2 exam applies to this one as well (see the announcement
- 06.03.2017: Here are the results of the March 2 exam / Klausurergebnisse (not including students who were registered but absent)
- 02.03.2017: I will be available to review your graded exams with you (Klausureinsicht) on
Tuesday, March 7, from 1 to 3pm
- 21.02.2017: Information on the final exam, March 2, 2017:
- The exam will take place in RUD 26, 0'310, beginning at 9:00, and will last three hours (though I expect that most people will not need more than two).
- You may bring with you any notes or books that you wish to use as reference during the exam.
Electronic aids such as calculators or smartphones will not be allowed.
- There is a practice exam posted below, under the weekly problem sets. The actual exam will be of roughly the same format and
same level of difficulty, though it might be shorter. (For the practice exam I have not made an effort to make sure it is
doable within two hours, but for the real exam I will.)
- There will be an alternative exam date on April 12, see the
Prüfungsangelegenheiten page for details.
- 21.02.2017: I will have extra office hours this week and next.
- Tuesday 21.02, 15:00 - 16:00 (as usual)
- Wednesday 22.02, 13:00 - 14:00
- Thursday 23.02, 13:00 - 14:00
Monday 27.02, 14:00 - 16:00 (canceled due to illness)
- Tuesday 28.02, 13:00 - 16:00 (lengthened to compensate for the Monday cancelation)
- 21.02.2017: The solutions for Problem Sets 13 and 14 are now available below.
- 16.02.2017: If you didn't get your graded takehome midterm back yet, you can pick it up in my office.
- 16.02.2017: A practice final exam will be posted here by next Tuesday.
- 9.01.2017: The class will not meet on Tuesday 17.01.2017 (both lecture and Übung) or Thursday 26.01.2017 (lecture).
On Thursday 19.01.2017 the class will meet as usual, but with a substitute lecturer.
- 9.01.2017: The take-home midterm is now available (see below under Problem sets) and will be due 24.01.2017.
- 13.12.2016: The final exam will take place on 2.03.2017
(registration deadline 16.02.2017). The second exam date is
12.04.2017 (registration deadline 29.03.2017). See the math department's
Prüfungsangelegenheiten page for administrative
- 13.12.2016: The take-home midterm will be distributed on
January 10 and due two weeks later (January 24).
- 17.11.2016: Today's lecture didn't quite cover everything that was
planned, and as a result, Problem 4(g) on Problem Set 5 is not doable based
only on what was covered in lecture. You need the coordinate formula for
computing the exterior derivative, which we'll talk about next Tuesday.
- 31.10.2016: The version of Problem Set 2 handed out last week had an error in the reading
suggestion (it referred to the 2013 edition of Lee, despite claims to the contrary). A corrected version
has now been posted below.
- 18.10.2016: Linguistic compromise: the lectures will be in English, but the Übungen / problem classes in German.
(Fragen dürfen aber auch in der Vorlesung gern auf Deutsche gestellt werden.
And the problem sets will continue to be printed in English.)
- 17.10.2016: Die Übung findet in der ersten Semesterwoche nicht statt. / The problem class will not meet in the
first week of the semester.
topics covered in the lectures (updated regularly)
Übungsblätter / Problem sets
The notes posted below are excerpts from a book-in-progress on the theory of bundles and
connections, written originally as lecture notes for a 2007 course at MIT and lightly
edited for the current semester.
More chapters will be posted as they become relevant.
Other useful links
Chris Wendl's homepage